Don't we all love something a little apocalyptic every once in a while?

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Theater and the MFA

I never considered myself to be an actor. In fact, it would be a stretch to even say that I was intrigued by theater, playwriting, etc. But, as of lately, I've been immersed in the theater scene at the University of Chicago. I've seen 4 plays this month. I've been working on a scene from Ma Rainey's Black Bottom with three classmates; for this reason, I bow to all serious actors: remembering lines, actions, cues, and all that other stuff is more difficult than I anticipated. Several times I said "this is bullshit" during practice, yesterday.

Yet, through this, I've gained a new perspective on theater. Today, we had our big scene performance. To say it went well is an understatement. My teacher told me that I have a career in theater should I focus.

Maybe, theater is a potential endeavor for me. Not in acting, but in playwriting.

What Theater MFA's do you all like and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment