Don't we all love something a little apocalyptic every once in a while?

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Does School Tear Your Relationships Apart?

This has been an awful trend in my life. I'll be in a healthy, long-term and thriving relationship, one that I could see lasting endlessly. Then, a graduation comes around and it is time for me to get my next degree. This has happened twice already: after junior high graduation and after high school graduation. Now, it seems like it is happening a third time, as I pursue my MFA. Part of me says that I should think about my professional health and education. Another part of me says I should hold onto this relationship and postpone graduate school. I'm stranded in this all too familiar predicament. Obviously, in the past, I've chosen education over relationship. I don't believe that I regret those decisions. Now, the third time around, for once, I'm honestly considering keeping this person around by postponing my educational life. In all honesty, a year or two away from academia may do me some good. But what will I do and where will I work during that time? I have an English degree and little to no work experience--who in their right mind would hire me for anything?

In short, has anyone else out there in blogland been in this messy situation before? how did you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment